Our Milestones

From the forging of sabers and sickles to highly-specific glass fiber manufacturing systems.

 

The roots of the KNILL Gruppe go back to the year 1712, when Mosdorfer was mentioned as blade forge in Weiz for the first time. At that time the majority of the yearly production of sabres, blades and sickles was already exported worldwide. With the marriage of Friedrich Knill and the second daughter of Moritz Mosdorfer in the year 1929 the era of the Knill family began. As managing director of the Mosdorfer GmbH Friedrich Knill led the company to an important milestone in the history, the first order of fittings for the 220 kV overhead line in Kaprun-Ernsthofen in the year 1949.

In 1974 his son Gunther Knill took over the management of the Mosdorfer GmbH. He brought the individual company to an internationally renowned group of companies. In 2002 he handed over the responsibility to his sons Christian and Georg Knill. Their aim is to further strategically develop the group by continually striving for market leadership and growth in emerging markets, thereby securing the existing.

THE COMPANY MUSEUM MIGHT ALSO BE OF INTEREST FOR YOU:
www.dieklingenschmiede.at

First mention as blade forge

1712

The blacksmith Josef Mosdorfer moved from Bayern to Weiz and married the widow Anna Lehr. Since then the forge is known under the name Mosdorfer. At that time blades and sabres were forged.

Sickles and scythes

1784

Mosdorfer received the concession for
the production of sickles and scythes.

From Mosdorfer to Knill

1938

After 8 generations of the family Mosdorfer – the era Knill began
with the marriage of Dipl.-Ing. Friedrich Knill and Herta Mosdorfer.

Hoes and machetes

1945

The company started the production of
heels and machetes

Change in the product program

1949

Mosdorfer received the first order of fittings for the 220 kV
overhead transmission line in Kaprun-Ernsthofen (Austria).

Gunther Knill

1974

Led the company to a renowned group of companies.

Substation

1985

Entering the area of substation equipment
with the acquisition of the company Lorünser

Cabinet Systems

1989

The acquisition of the company Assmann Electric and later on the foundation of Elsta Mosdorfer extended the product program with cable distribution cabinets.

Entering the special purpose machinery manufacture

1997

Start of the development and manufacturing of systems for the production of cable and wire with the acquisition of Rosendahl.

Distribution Systems up to 45 kV

1999

Entering the low and voltage energy industry with the acquisition of CCL systems.

Change in Leadership

2002

Christian and Georg Knill take over
the management of the Knill Gruppe.

Fiber optics manufacturing systems

2005

Extending the product range with entering the manufacturing of glass fiber production systems by acquiring Nextrom.

Expansion in India and Thailand

2007

Production sites for overhead line fittings and accessories
in the energy transmission and distribution.

Damping Systems

2008

Since then Spacers, spacer dampers and vibration dampers are part of the portfolio.

Cable accessories

2009

The acquisition of Ikebana expanded the low and medium voltage area with heat shrinkable cable accessories.

Battery Machines

2010

Entering the area of battery machines
with the acquisition of the company Battery Machines.

Aluminum Cabinets

2012

Expanding the area of cabinet systems with aluminum enclosures
and enclosure climate control by the acquisition of Almatec.

Expansion in Australia

2014

Acquisition of Graph Solutions – Insulators, fittings and conductor accessories for Australian energy utilities and the railway industries.

Overhead Transmission Line Monitoring

2018

Entering the area of overhead transmission line monitoring
with the acquisition of the company OTLM.